2.03.2012

get real, know what you want...and get a coach

Do you know your dance? I mean really know your dance? Do you know the origins and the evolution of it? Do you know the big players in your style? Have you trained in the basics? Are you past them? Have you seen video of yourself and know what you need to work on? Hit the adolescence phase of your dance yet?  Are you past it?  Do you have a clear dance voice? Are you elevating or demoting this dance?
Ouch, hard questions but you know I do it out of love. Also I wouldn't ask you what I do not ask myself. The way I see it is we're all in this together. So are you serious about getting better at this? Then it's time to:
get real.

Did you answer the above questions to your satisfaction -- great! If not, we've got some work to do. And that's ok, it's part of growth. Elizabeth Strong said in one of her workshops I attended "when it comes to researching dance, I don't feel like I have to do it I feel like I GET to do it!" I couldn't agree more! 
If you did, however, answer those questions successfully the next one is:

Do you know what you want? 

What is next? Are you content at your current level? If dance is nice little thing you do on the side and you are happy where you are at --wonderful! Or do you feel like there is work to be done? Is there room for improvement? What is waiting at the next level for you? Are you ready to begin your Mastery journey? How will you get there?

Pehaps it’s time to look into coaching. I've been dancing for a while and I've worked with coaches but it's been a while. Between, classes, a troupe, traveling and a 2 year old -- I didn’t leave myself much time for it. In my current situation I've made coaching a priority. As an instructor myself I want to continually reset and refresh myself so that I have more to give my students.
enter DaVid Badyal
Can I tell you, I am walking on air!! I couldn’t be happier about my choice to train with DaVid of Scandinavia co-director of The Ethnic Dance Academy! 
image credit

In short DaVid is an international star! He coaches, performs, teaches workshops, judges competitions all around the globe. Not only are his Mid East dances spot on but he is also trained in Punjabi Folk dances under his father, Ustad T.S. Badyal, former member of the award winning Layllpur Khalsa College Bhangra Team. And a name you might recognize – he was commissioned to coach and choreograph for the Bellydance Superstars show – Bombay Bellywood. Could I be in better hands?! 
I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me but it’s the type of work that fuels me. Already he’s opened my eyes about some very basic things. I can’t wait to share my DaVid adventures with you!!

Why should YOU consider coaching? Without explanation most of us see the benefit of working with coach but if you need reasons -- look here for why you should hire a coach.

What about you, can you answer those above questions? Do you know what "more" you want from your dance? Who would you coach with, one on one? Share the wealth dancers, remember we're all in this together!
xoxo,
G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you visiting and taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...