1.30.2012

happy birthday?

image credit
Let me preface today's entry by telling you that this is not a pity party post. I do not feel sorry for myself. I'm just sharing. Perhaps a little too much, and well, that's just going to happen from time to time.
Ok. Today is my birthday…siiiiiiigggghhhh. I mean "YAY!"



I'm somewhat ambivalent about my birthday and I'll tell you why.



It's not that I mind getting older, I've made friends with that reality. 
It's not that I'm not near my friends, whom I would be hanging out with and having margaritas and cake.
I completely enjoy and delight in every single message I receive from my friends wishing me a happy birthday.
Ugh. 

It's the folks.
Due to their beliefs they do not celebrate birthdays, these are not traditions I grew up with. In fact, in my family, they are viewed as downright dishonorable.

Although, I enjoy all the extra love I receive from all directions on my birthday. I would be lying if I said I didn't care what my parents think. I do care. So how do I get past this little hiccup? I get a bit sad, then bit angry and then I get over it. I thank them for the lesson.


I myself am now a parent. Though many years off I am learning now that when my daughter is an adult the chances are very high that she will choose a path very different from mine. Even as her mother it is not my place to judge. It is not my place to impose my rules upon my adult child. The most important responsibility I have toward her is to love her exactly how she is. I already do and I can't see that ever changing. So it is in love that I find comfort and peace. And it is in this spirit I wish you love, comfort and peace. Lighten your own load and remember to not have "rules" for other people.


Now, where's my cake?
xo,
G



2 comments:

  1. Sabrina is so lucky to have you for a mother! Knowing where you came from, and who you now are, it's clear that you're a strong and loving woman. No child could ask for a better role model. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, You are SO good to me, you don't even know! Thank you for being so sweet. XOXOXOXO!!!! Thank you for being who you are and for being a friend.

      Delete

Thank you visiting and taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...