1.14.2011

Dance in times of sadness?

It's already mid January 2011 and this is my first post of the year. I don't blog nearly as much as I should to begin with but I've been keeping away from blogging, facebook and even from sending out my way overdue newsletter. It's been hard to think about dancing when Tucson is in mourning over last week's tragedy. I was out of town when it happened. It was the strangest thing sitting in Florida visiting with family and watching the news updates about the mass shooting incident involving Gabriel Giffords. So surreal.
I'm not personally related or connected to anyone that was injured or killed but I don't have to be to feel the deep heavy sadness, fear and confusion that accompanies such a senseless act. I feel as if the entire town of Tucson or Pima County was violated. What a waste of precious life.

I love my work and I'm so lucky to be able to do it. I love to dance and to teach dance but honestly, for many reasons, at a time like this I feel it would almost be easier to work at desk and just hide behind a computer monitor and quietly go about my business. Well, that's not an option. And it's a good thing too. It will be good to move and dance and share with other people experiencing the same feelings and emotions. It's a good way to begin the healing.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing. It's the rhythm of your life. It's the expression in time and movement, in happiness, joy, sadness and envy." --Jaques D'amboise

What helps you get through times of sadness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you visiting and taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...